Thursday, March 1, 2012

It's Women's History Month! Let's Party. Er, Read.

Today marks the start of Women's History Month! Who's ready to party? I know THIS guy is:

what a dick!
Just kidding! We all know Rush Limbaugh hates women. We also should know he's a raging lunatic undeserving of our time. And as such, I promise never, ever, to put his ugly mug on this blog again.

Now, back to the important stuff: Women's History Month. 

[via feministing]
So, how to celebrate it? History is so borrrrring, after all. Hmm. Lucky for you, I have an idea.

READ! (A Book. Written By a Woman.)

I personally like to celebrate my geekiness things such as this with some great reading. I recently started Doris Lessing's The Golden Notebook, and seeing as how it makes my bag weigh approximately 50 pounds, I imagine I'll be reading it for much of the month. Now, if you don't really feel like committing to a 640-page book at the moment, maybe don't read that one. But I've been staring at it for the last year as it sat on my bookshelf, so now is the time for me.

Can't think of anything you'd like to read? Never fret, my dears. I have some suggestions:

For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf, by Ntozake Shange
This book was the inspiration behind the title of my blog. 'So what?' You say. 'I saw the Tyler Perry movie.' I say, WOOF! He ruined it. Read the choreopoem instead. Here's one reason why.

I Am No One You Know, by Joyce Carol Oates
One of my all-time favorite short story collections, by one of my all-time favorite writers. Her story "The Girl With The Blackened Eye" will haunt you for days.

Emma, by Jane Austen
A classic! And then after you read it, you can watch the movie. And then watch Clueless. You're welcome.

Mighty Be Our Powers, by Leymah Gbowee
A moving memoir about the Liberian Civil War, and how Gbowee led an army of women to help bring her nation peace. This woman's strength and courage will blow your mind.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
Because you're going to need a good laugh after reading that memoir.

I have plenty more suggestions I will gleefully talk about at exhausting length, so if these aren't doing it for you, tell me and I'll promptly give you five more ideas. That's right. FIVE.

And ladies, if the 'War on Women' is bringing you down, just remember to always say:


Happy reading! (I hope.)

No comments:

Post a Comment